Why Money Matters

Rubbing Pennies started as a personal challenge to save $10,000 in one calendar year. As a young couple, we (Ian and Jen) know how important it is to live within your means, avoid acquiring a lot of debt and have a healthy financial cushion to fall on in case of emergency. On April 10, 2010, we set out on the journey of marriage with two steady incomes, a newly purchased home, one vehicle payment, and a very modest savings account. In an effort to beef up our piggy bank, we launched Rubbing Pennies in January 2012. This is our story of how we love the life we live, and how we can afford it.

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

You Only Have One Pair of Eyes

    I had my annual eye exam today, which I must have every year before I can order new contacts. I have worn glasses since 4th grade, and contacts since high school. No big deal until I started paying for them myself in college! Sheesh. And I have an astigmatism, which makes my contacts "special order" and nice and pricey. My lenses will last me about 3 months (each pair). To find the right lenses for me, my optometrist starts with a trial pair. The manufacturer of my "special lenses" charges $100 for EACH CONTACT of this trial pair - $200. For the trial pair. Just to be clear. Then if I decide I like them, I get 3 more pairs for only $100. Makes perfect sense right? No. But that's the health care system for you. And my insurance only gives me back $100/year for eye expenses. Which is the cost of my exam = no help with contact purchase.
   So because they are so expensive, I try to stretch the life of each pair so they last me longer between orders. When the lenses start to get cloudy, I rub them with a little baking soda and contact solution. Cleans them right up and will not scratch the lenses. My optometrist told me this himself. **Note: Doctor's orders: Don't go too long with the same pair because the lenses are like a sponge and they obsorb proteins and other icky stuff that can cause problems over time. But I can stretch my 3 month pair, for 4-5 months. Getting me an extra 6-8 months in before ordering another year's supply.
   Like most contact users, I need a pair of glasses as a back up. My optometrist offers a deal for contact users - there is a small selection of eye glasses for under $60. Since I don't wear them very often, I took this deal. My glasses were $40 and I like them a lot. They are even considered fashionable.  
   Fun parts of the exam today: Free contact solution and a new contact case! I mentioned to my doctor that the cost of my lenses was an issue. He agreed that because my prescription had not changed very much, we could bypass the whole $200 trial pair thing and just order a year's supply. Which save me about $100. Thanks Doc! Also, he dialated my eyes. And because I wore my glasses today, I couldn't put on my sunglasses. So they gave me these temporary shades that slip between your face and your glasses to tint your glasses while your eyes are all haywire. Pretty cool huh?

"You have to take good care of your eyes. They're the only pair you get." - My Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment