Why Money Matters

Rubbing Pennies started as a personal challenge to save $10,000 in one calendar year. As a young couple, we (Ian and Jen) know how important it is to live within your means, avoid acquiring a lot of debt and have a healthy financial cushion to fall on in case of emergency. On April 10, 2010, we set out on the journey of marriage with two steady incomes, a newly purchased home, one vehicle payment, and a very modest savings account. In an effort to beef up our piggy bank, we launched Rubbing Pennies in January 2012. This is our story of how we love the life we live, and how we can afford it.

Monday, March 26, 2012

Baby Addison

   Ian and I are the proud Uncle and Aunt of baby Addison Elaine Lowe. Ian's brother Jason and his wife Gretchen welcomed "Addie" into the world on February 24, 2012. Since that day (and even before, let's be honest), I have found it to be extremely difficult not to spoil this little girl with every extra penny in my pocket. I. Am. In. Love.
   So that we don't go broke while loving and spoiling her, I've been very savings savvy about my baby purchases. On a recent trip to Sam's Club, I picked up a pack of Pampers diapers - 92 count - for $22. Anyone who has ever bought diapers knows what a deal this is. I highly recommend buying diapers, wipes and formula in bulk from a warehouse shopping center like Sam's or Costco. They also have children's clothing, socks and shoes for super cheap. Name brand stuff!
   Yesterday, I had the pleasure of spending the day with Gretchen and baby Addison on a shopping trip. I only bought her a few things ::grin::  And they were on sale - 40% off of $12. How could I not buy these adorable onesies to show her love for Uncle Ian and Aunt Jen?
   When you're shopping for a new baby, it's so tempting to buy everything that is "cute". But be practical. I was really proud of mommy Gretchen, too! On her first shopping trip since the birth, she was definitely conservative with her spending. She used reason when selecting outfits Addison would need in the near future. She even put a few things back before check out!
   I've also heard shopping at thirft/consignment stores for new and used children's clothing is the way to go. Some consignment stores have items with the tags still on! Kids grow out of stuff so quickly, especially from 0-12 months, they hardly have time to ruin it. Consider the savings there.

No comments:

Post a Comment