Why Money Matters

Rubbing Pennies started as a personal challenge to save $10,000 in one calendar year. As a young couple, we (Ian and Jen) know how important it is to live within your means, avoid acquiring a lot of debt and have a healthy financial cushion to fall on in case of emergency. On April 10, 2010, we set out on the journey of marriage with two steady incomes, a newly purchased home, one vehicle payment, and a very modest savings account. In an effort to beef up our piggy bank, we launched Rubbing Pennies in January 2012. This is our story of how we love the life we live, and how we can afford it.

Monday, March 19, 2012

A New Barber In Town

   Last weekend, my husband needed a hair cut. He usually goes to the barber right down the street on his way to work in the morning. But on this occasion, he ubruptly declares "I'm just going to shave my head. It will be so much easier to take care of. I can just cut it at home." Errrrrrrrrk ::screeching breaks:: What? I don't think so. He's not shaving his head because getting a hair cut is inconvenient. He will regret this tomorrow for sure, is what I'm thinking. And I'm thinking, It takes you what, 20 minutes to get a hair cut and costs you $15?! When I get mine done, it's around $100 and takes 2 hours! What are you complaining about? Although he has to go much more oftern than I do. But still.
   So once I make it clear, completely shaving his head is not an option at this time, he asks me to cut his hair. Ladies and gentleman, this has never been done before. I agree to give it a try, on the condition that if I screw it up, he goes to the barber in the morning to fix it.
   We get started. I trim the top with scissors, and then buzz the bottom with his beard trimmer. With some coaching from him, I learn that to do the fade, I use the little comb and scissors to blend the two lengths of hair. Then he put on the edging trimmer and I finished it off with a clean line around his head and above his ears. Not too bad, right?!


   So then I'm thinking, we could do this at home and save money! It's only about $180 a year, but it's still some savings in our budget. We will be doing this at home now :)

No comments:

Post a Comment