Why Money Matters

Rubbing Pennies started as a personal challenge to save $10,000 in one calendar year. As a young couple, we (Ian and Jen) know how important it is to live within your means, avoid acquiring a lot of debt and have a healthy financial cushion to fall on in case of emergency. On April 10, 2010, we set out on the journey of marriage with two steady incomes, a newly purchased home, one vehicle payment, and a very modest savings account. In an effort to beef up our piggy bank, we launched Rubbing Pennies in January 2012. This is our story of how we love the life we live, and how we can afford it.

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

No Sale? No Coupon? No purchase.

   One of my personal commitments to saving our household money is to never buy clothes or cosmetics at full price. It might sound impossible at first, but it's very do-able. In addition to shopping the clearance rack only, sign up for e-coupon mailing lists at all your favorite stores. I get $10 coupons regularly from DSW, Ulta, Kohl's, Victoria Secret, Macy's and Old Navy. True story - I wanted a new dress for a fundraiser banquet we were going to with Ian's boss and coworkers. I had a $10 coupon for Kohl's. I went by there on my lunch break and went directly to the sale rack. I found a black, racerback, maxi dress with a ruffle around the neckline. It was on clearance for $8. What am I saying? That I got a brand new dress FOR FREE! I got many compliments on it that night and it is now Ian's favorite "going out" dress that I wear. #win

   Combining sales and coupons: I routinely stock up on coupons for household cleaners, toiletries and cosmetics that I use and wait for them to go on sale. This equals massive savings. 
   This week, I'm running very low on cosmetic face powder and my go-to pink shimmery eye shadow just bit the dust. I noticed in a sale ad for Ulta that Loreal cosmetics were "Buy 2 Get 1 Free". I happen to use Loreal powder and blush and had a bunch of coupons for them. I'm also a big fan of Ulta brand eye shadow and all Ulta cosmetics were "Buy 2 Get 2 Free". So, I picked 2 face powders and a blush (1 of these will be free), and used a $3 off coupon for each powder that I purchased = $14.99 savings with the free blush. I picked out 4 Ulta eye shadows (2 of them were free) = $14 savings. THEN I had an Ulta coupon from the ad, $3 off my entire purchase. So what would have cost $55.97 plus tax really only cost me $24.89. That is cutting my bill by more than half! And it's for stuff I really needed anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment