Why Money Matters

Rubbing Pennies started as a personal challenge to save $10,000 in one calendar year. As a young couple, we (Ian and Jen) know how important it is to live within your means, avoid acquiring a lot of debt and have a healthy financial cushion to fall on in case of emergency. On April 10, 2010, we set out on the journey of marriage with two steady incomes, a newly purchased home, one vehicle payment, and a very modest savings account. In an effort to beef up our piggy bank, we launched Rubbing Pennies in January 2012. This is our story of how we love the life we live, and how we can afford it.

Monday, February 20, 2012

Car Problems

   Our last pay day was pretty sweet. Ian was able to nearly double his pay check with lots of commission from boat sales this month. Of course we planned to put all the extra in savings.
   At the same time, I decided to take my car in for a full diagnostic because it's been making an awful noise when I put it in gear. It does sit in the driveway a lot because I have a work vehicle so it doesn't get very much TLC. I love Tires Plus Ocala, across from Sam's Club. They are always really nice, priced fairly, and the store manager, Melissa, always talks to me on "girl level" so I understand what's wrong with my car.
   I took it there Saturday morning. They said the full diagnostic check would run me $40. Eh, not too bad. Well 3 hours later, Melissa called me with a list of items that needed attention including a new motor mount for $250 and an urgent oil leak. And there was a massive rodent nest in my AC filter compartment. Which makes complete sense because 2 months ago, we found a little Gus Gus (mouse) in the cabin of the car. Gross! We took care of the mousy with a trap as soon as we saw him. But we're just now finding his house :o/ 

   So the grand total to get my car back in good shape was about $590. Ouch. So that extra money Ian made will not be going to savings. But the lesson here is....because I have found a trustworthy place to take my car when it does have problems, I know they won't over quote me or tell me I need things done that I dont. Melissa even waived the diagnostic fee and didn't charge me to clean out the mouse house. Tires Plus Ocala will always get my business!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment