Why Money Matters

Rubbing Pennies started as a personal challenge to save $10,000 in one calendar year. As a young couple, we (Ian and Jen) know how important it is to live within your means, avoid acquiring a lot of debt and have a healthy financial cushion to fall on in case of emergency. On April 10, 2010, we set out on the journey of marriage with two steady incomes, a newly purchased home, one vehicle payment, and a very modest savings account. In an effort to beef up our piggy bank, we launched Rubbing Pennies in January 2012. This is our story of how we love the life we live, and how we can afford it.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Last Day of Fast and Struggling

  Today is our last day of the fiscal fast. Im struggling. One battle in my head is over a new travel tote. What's a girl to do without one? You might suggest "Use one you already have." Good thought. Especially considering I've aquired a new travel tote before almost every trip I've ever taken. Nothing too fancy so no judgement. You know, something in the $40 range from TJ Maxx. But because I already have several suitable totes, the rational side of my brain keeps announcing its argument, "That is ridiculous. Why would you buy a new bag? You have 100. You probably have 10 that would be perfect for this trip. That's really stupid to waste money on another bag just for the sake of having a new one." However, the fashionista shopping addict side of my brain rebuttles with, "Because you did SO well this week not buying anything. And you haven't bought anything that wasn't a necessity since Christmas! That was a month ago! Sweet reward....let's go to TJ Maxx!!" The battle continues. I will try to hold my ground.
   The other battle in my head is over a mani/pedi. No girl should go on vacation without a fresh mani/pedi. And my salon is running a special - both for $27. So, I could just go by after work today and get it taken care. Lord knows my toes are frightening. BUT, I know I can do it at home for free. I actually have a pedicure spa tub that Ian bought me for Christmas a few years ago. I have the scrubby soaps and lotion and plenty of polish options. Why would I waste money at the salon? Ugh - because it feels WAY better when someone else does it. Period.
   **Stay tuned for the home mani/pedi blog. #saving $27.

No comments:

Post a Comment