Why Money Matters

Rubbing Pennies started as a personal challenge to save $10,000 in one calendar year. As a young couple, we (Ian and Jen) know how important it is to live within your means, avoid acquiring a lot of debt and have a healthy financial cushion to fall on in case of emergency. On April 10, 2010, we set out on the journey of marriage with two steady incomes, a newly purchased home, one vehicle payment, and a very modest savings account. In an effort to beef up our piggy bank, we launched Rubbing Pennies in January 2012. This is our story of how we love the life we live, and how we can afford it.

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Jump Start Your Savings

   Happy New Year everyone! I hope you rang in the New Year in a good way with your loved ones. We sure did! We attended a BBQ at our friends’ house for the eve and then Ian went to the Gator Bowl with his parents and brother. Now that we are officially in 2012, let’s get down to business and save some money, shall we?  
   To kick start our savings plan, we have to make some changes. Now, whether these changes are small or drastic, every bit is significant to the long-term goal. We started by making a change to our car insurance. First of all, we pay our car insurance bi-annually. Almost every insurance company offers a savings when paying bi-annually vs. monthly. It can be over $200 a year in savings so look into that if you’re not already doing it.  We received our 6-month premium bill from Geico last month and it was for $770 – which is $35 more than the last 6 months. So, I went online to get a quote from 3 or 4 other companies. I made sure to select the exact same coverage so the comparison premium would be fare. At least 2 other companies quoted me a premium for $100 less than Geico. To be completely fare, I called Geico and told them I was looking to lower our bill and asked if there were any other savings opportunities available for us at this time. I’ve been with Geico for 8 years and didn’t want to switch if I didn’t absolutely have to. The lady on the phone assured me I was taking advantage of every opportunity already and that there was no way I could lower my bill. So, that settled it. Before my insurance lapsed, I called Progressive and gave them my quote number. Our new premium is $625. That is a savings of $145. We did receive a one-time discount of $50 to sign our documents online. But even without that discount in the next renewal, it’s still a $95 savings – which is $190 a year!
   So what does that mean right now? If I had made the payment to Geico, we would be out of pocket $770 today. But instead, we are only out of pocket $625. I will take the $145 we saved and put it into our savings account TODAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment