Why Money Matters

Rubbing Pennies started as a personal challenge to save $10,000 in one calendar year. As a young couple, we (Ian and Jen) know how important it is to live within your means, avoid acquiring a lot of debt and have a healthy financial cushion to fall on in case of emergency. On April 10, 2010, we set out on the journey of marriage with two steady incomes, a newly purchased home, one vehicle payment, and a very modest savings account. In an effort to beef up our piggy bank, we launched Rubbing Pennies in January 2012. This is our story of how we love the life we live, and how we can afford it.

Monday, January 16, 2012

Fiscal Fast Fail

  Try as we may, our first fiscal fast has failed. Ian really wanted to play golf on Sunday. He works 6 days a week and rarely gets play time. At first he thouht he might have a free round of golf voucher, but it had expired. He REALLY wanted to play golf. I came up with this compromise: If we had enough cash in our wallets between the two of us to pay for a round of golf, then we would go. Wouldn't you know we had $16 and the "after 2pm special" was $10. So golf he did. (I usually don't play I just bring a book and read. Sometimes he lets me drive the cart and I use a British accent as I chauffeur him around the greens :)
   Ian is not the only one who failed the fast. I am working on a personal project and Wednesday is my deadline. I ran out of a very necessary supply and could not finish without it. So, I took the $6 we had left and went to Wal-Mart to buy scrapbooking tape. We also needed an onion.
   The positive point to this story is we have not used a debit or credit card since the fiscal fast started and will not do so until Thursday. Now that we're out of cash....this should be interesting. Good thing mom and dad offered to have us over for dinner tomorrow night. Our fridge is pretty vacant.

No comments:

Post a Comment