Why Money Matters

Rubbing Pennies started as a personal challenge to save $10,000 in one calendar year. As a young couple, we (Ian and Jen) know how important it is to live within your means, avoid acquiring a lot of debt and have a healthy financial cushion to fall on in case of emergency. On April 10, 2010, we set out on the journey of marriage with two steady incomes, a newly purchased home, one vehicle payment, and a very modest savings account. In an effort to beef up our piggy bank, we launched Rubbing Pennies in January 2012. This is our story of how we love the life we live, and how we can afford it.

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Stroller Steal

   Now that we are adding a new baby boy to the Lowe Family, our current stroller situation will not do. I have an Eddie Bauer travel system (stroller/infant seat) and a really nice Bumble Ride jogging stroller my mother-in-law got at a yard sale in mint condition. Honestly, once we got the jogger, I haven't touched the standard stroller. I just love the versatility of a jogger. It is a bit bigger, but I prefer it over plastic wheels and it has great maneuverability and storage.
    So, when considering upgrading to a double stroller, I set my eyes on a double jogger. Cha-ching! Those puppies ain't cheap! I did look into conversion kits for single strollers with a toddler ride-on attachment (kind of like a skateboard that fastens on to the back wheels) ...but what if his little legs get tired or we're on a long haul in a theme park or he wants to take a nap? They make a side car attachment but the only 2 brands I could find were the same cost as buying a whole new stroller. I did find this really cool tutorial for turning your standard into a double with 2 giant carabiner clips. It's pretty genius if your stroller design is similar to this one. I'm not a huge fan that the infant ends up down by your feet where you can kick dust and floor germs all over them though.
   Finally, I took to the second-hand websites. I don't underestimate the sketchfest that is Craigslist but I thought I would browse just to see. I located this Baby Trend Navigator double jogger. It has a speaker dock in the key/phone enclosed compartment, 2 cup holders for parents and 2 each for the kiddos. The back of each seat has a cargo pocket as well as a large basket underneath. Most universal infant seats snap into the snack tray making it perfect for G and his new baby brother!
   Of course, as any responsible thrifty mom does, I looked up the new retail price of the exact stroller. $260 was the going rate on most sites and here's the specs...

   The ad was asking $150. I texted the owner to make sure it was still available and to bargain. This is how it went down:


And that's how it's done folks! A $260 stroller - this thing looks brand new, out of the box - listed used for $150, took it home for $100. I'm pretty proud of this bargain find!! I mean even the warning stickers inside the cup holders don't have a scuff. They could not have used it more than once or twice. I however, will use the life out of it! Muahahahahaha :) 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment