Why Money Matters

Rubbing Pennies started as a personal challenge to save $10,000 in one calendar year. As a young couple, we (Ian and Jen) know how important it is to live within your means, avoid acquiring a lot of debt and have a healthy financial cushion to fall on in case of emergency. On April 10, 2010, we set out on the journey of marriage with two steady incomes, a newly purchased home, one vehicle payment, and a very modest savings account. In an effort to beef up our piggy bank, we launched Rubbing Pennies in January 2012. This is our story of how we love the life we live, and how we can afford it.

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

The Greatest Love/Hate Relationship Story of All Time

   Long before I got pregnant with Grady, a good friend of mine  - a fulltime working mom of two -
inspired me. She is a fantastic mother in many ways. The kind you watch in awe of and think to yourself, "I hope I handle a temper tantrum with that much grace, love and effectiveness when I'm a mother" kind of admiration. She breastfed both of her girls until they were a year old. Every day she stopped by my desk on her way to or from pumping. I had absolutely no real understanding of the level of dedication this involved. (She is now nursing her brand new THIRD angel baby girl :) )
   When I got pregnant, I knew I wanted to breastfeed and I set my goal at one year - recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics for optimal growth, development and allergy deterrence. In addition to all those benefits, there is no greater bond between mom and baby than the one established during nursing. The double bonus is the average formula-fed baby consumes about $1,800 in formula in one year. So I consider that we saved that amount by breastfeeding this long.
   Because I work full-time, the only way I was able to succeed at this was by pumping. My pump of choice was the double-electric Medela in the back-pack style bag. **Shout out to Christina Jett for getting me a donated pump from a close friend! I saved $300 there. (I bought all new parts, attachments and tubing. Essentially I was just using the motor and bag second-hand, so don't be grossed out.) The other key piece here is a safe and private location to pump. I work in a building full of cops but luckily our purchasing department is run by some awesome ladies who loaned me their storage closet, electric outlet and a comfy chair twice a day for 9 months.
   I love that I have an amazing bond with my son. I love that we saved $2,000 by sticking with boobie milk. I love that my son has excellent health and no known allergies. But breastfeeding - pumping in particular - had its challenges...moments of frustration, tears, exhaustion, pain and defeat.
   Unless you nurse exclusively, which is impossible as a working mom, you will have to pump. Anytime you're away from the baby, you are with your pump. A trusty side kick. I pumped just about anywhere you can think of. Storage closets, hotel rooms, the bathroom stall inside a church, a locker room at an Emergency Operations Center during training, friends' guest rooms, the back and passenger seat of cars, a Luke Bryan concert, the driver seat stuck in traffic in the pouring rain, and even the bow of a boat during a fishing tournament. It would surprise you how discretely us ladies can get with all that practice! We find our life revolving around our full and leaky boobs. And our pump bag. Wash the parts. Pack them up. Are there batteries in there in case I can't find an outlet? How many milks storage bags do I have left...
   On a few occasions I forgot pieces I needed or forgot the bag alltogether and had to stop what I was doing mid-morning and go all the way home to get it. You cannot just keep working and take care of it later. There is no later. We live and die by the nursing/pumping schedule!! Then there are the days when your schedule is so jam-packed you realize you've gone 5 hours instead 3 without relief and you are DYING to have a rendezvous with that tiny dreaded machine.
   Grady is now eating "food food" including an embarassing amount of cheese and carbs...just like his mother. No judgement. At this point in motherhood, it makes me both elated and slightly depressed to say I am ending this relationship with the black back pack. I will no longer be the bag lady dragging in my purse, pump bag and lunch box cooler to keep the milk cold. I will just carry a purse!! ::happy jig::

I KNOW other working nursing moms feel this way. Stay strong! It is awesome for you, baby and your wallet. A hilarious article --->  Why Working Moms Are Frenemies with Their Breast Pumps

No comments:

Post a Comment