Why Money Matters

Rubbing Pennies started as a personal challenge to save $10,000 in one calendar year. As a young couple, we (Ian and Jen) know how important it is to live within your means, avoid acquiring a lot of debt and have a healthy financial cushion to fall on in case of emergency. On April 10, 2010, we set out on the journey of marriage with two steady incomes, a newly purchased home, one vehicle payment, and a very modest savings account. In an effort to beef up our piggy bank, we launched Rubbing Pennies in January 2012. This is our story of how we love the life we live, and how we can afford it.

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Sweet Deals @ Wholesale

   We have a Sam's Club membership. Not everyone should buy everything in bulk unless you have unlimited storage space and a chunk of change to front buying supplies on a bi-annual basis. Who has the space for 97 rolls of Bounty? It's such a deal though! BUT if you can figure out how the wholesale system works best for your household, there is a lot of money to be saved that way. And wholesale clubs usually carry high-end name brand products so you can score a 64 oz bottle of salon-quality shampoo and a pair of Seven jeans in the same place. #winning

   In my most recent trip I found 3 deals that made me do a happy jig. Here they are:

I was looking for a Keurig (for the spindown on coffee costs and why I chose to buy one click here ). Bed Bath & Beyond had the Keurig 65 Signature model listed for $179.99. Everyone knows BBB is the priciest place for things like this but I had a 20% coupon so it would have been a good deal. However, in my wholesale adventures this weekend I see the SAME Keurig model in a BONUS pack including 36 K-cups and the reusable filter already included - a $27 value by itself - at Sam's Club for $129 plus an extra $20 off instantly. So of course I loaded it in my cart as fast as possible. It was mine for $109!  

On the baby aisle, Pampers Cruisers are already a good deal at wholesale price unless you have more than $4 per case in coupons. (You can't use coupons at Sams) A case of size 4, 136 count was $39.98 with a $6 instant savings. This comes out to $.25 per diaper. A savings of at least $6.80 per case if I bought them anywhere else including Wal-Mart, Sam's sister store. ::loading cart::

Another steal was in the health and beauty section. I *love* Neutragena pink grapefruit face wash. They just so happened to have a double pack for $13.98 = $6.99 per bottle compared to $8.99 at Wal-mart. And the combo pack had a $3.50 instant savings making them $5.24 per bottle. Done. In the cart.

The key to shopping at Sam's, especially in the health and beauty section, is you cannot always count on the same things in stock. Sometimes they have the hairspray I like. Sometimes they don't but then they will have the razors I like. It's hit or miss. But it makes sense because if last month I bought a twin pack of hairspray, I likely do not need it again this month. But I will need something else that wasn't there last month. The Sam's Club Instant Savings is going on through June 8th so if you are a member, get there fast before it ends or shop online using this link!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment