Why Money Matters

Rubbing Pennies started as a personal challenge to save $10,000 in one calendar year. As a young couple, we (Ian and Jen) know how important it is to live within your means, avoid acquiring a lot of debt and have a healthy financial cushion to fall on in case of emergency. On April 10, 2010, we set out on the journey of marriage with two steady incomes, a newly purchased home, one vehicle payment, and a very modest savings account. In an effort to beef up our piggy bank, we launched Rubbing Pennies in January 2012. This is our story of how we love the life we live, and how we can afford it.

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Thrift Store Find: Vintage Brass Lamps

   While working on getting the nursery ready, the massive amount of crap in our garage is also on my agenda to tackle. It either needs to be put to use, go in the attic, or go to the dump. Among the items that could be put to use were a pair of vintage stiffel style brass lamps I found at a thrift store over a year ago. There's a small, church-operated thrift about 1/2 mile from my house and the stuff is never marked up. One time, I found a Christian Dior cashmere sweater in there for a $1. One. Dollar. When I found those brass lamps, they were $5 for the set. That's $2.50 per lamp! I didn't know what a steal that was at the time. I just wanted some nice lamps for our room that added character.


   
Total cost for these items: $33


      I have been meaning to find shades for them and put them on our bedroom nightstands. Finally last week, I got around to finding lamp shades - something simple but elegant - from TJ Maxx for $5.99 each. Done. Another bargain, I thought. Then, I sent Ian to Lowe's to pick up the hardware that attaches the shades to the lamp base. He did a great job picking out something simple and they were only $8 each.
  
Finished Project! 

    They looked so swanky, I decided to do a little search on eBay to price compare. Similar sets of stiffel style vintage solid brass lamps were going for $150+!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment