Why Money Matters

Rubbing Pennies started as a personal challenge to save $10,000 in one calendar year. As a young couple, we (Ian and Jen) know how important it is to live within your means, avoid acquiring a lot of debt and have a healthy financial cushion to fall on in case of emergency. On April 10, 2010, we set out on the journey of marriage with two steady incomes, a newly purchased home, one vehicle payment, and a very modest savings account. In an effort to beef up our piggy bank, we launched Rubbing Pennies in January 2012. This is our story of how we love the life we live, and how we can afford it.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Shopping in Bulk

   If you don't have a member card to a wholesale warehouse store like Sam's Club, Costco or BJ's, I highly recommend investing. The membership is usually about $100 a year. If you have a parent or sibling in town, consider going halvsies on the membership fee and one person in each family gets a card. In Ocala, we have a Sam's Club. My mom and dad have a card, and we have the other one.
   Purchasing meat and dry goods in bulk can be a huge savings for your grocery bill. Produce is trickier because you have to be sure to eat it all before it goes bad or it's wasteful. Yesterday I spent about $100 at Sam's. The same amount of food would have cost me probably twice as much at Publix - my other primary choice for groceries. Here's the breakdown:
   I bought a 5 pound (80 oz.) bag of shredded cheddar cheese for $10.96. **Shredded cheese freezes well. The texture and taste is absolutely fine when it thaws. This week's Publix price for the same cheese is $2.99 for an 8 oz. bag. For the amount I purchased, that's an $18.94 savings....for cheese! I use 4 - 1 quart freezer bags and package it when I get home. One bag goes in the fridge, the other 3 in the freezer until needed.
   Speaking of freezer bags, Sam's sells Ziplock quart freezer bags in bulk (a box of 4 boxes 54 count ea.), 216 bags for $10.97. Publix has 50 count boxes for $4.89 each. That's 200 bags for $19.56, a savings of $8.59 when shopping at Sam's.
   The biggest bang for your buck is the meat section. I found pork chops for $3.28/lb vs. $3.99/lb at Publix. On the 4 pound package I bought, I saved $2.89. Not a huge savings, but still good. Now boneless, skinless chicken breast, I won't buy anywhere else but Sam's. They consistantly sell this product for $1.77/lb. Publix's sale price for chicken breast is usually $2.79 and regular price is $4.99/lb. I bought 2 packages of chicken breast for a total weight of 13.5 lbs. At Publix's regular price, I saved $43.47 by shopping at Sam's and even if Publix had a sale, I still saved $13.77. I package the chicken breast and pork chops in freezer bags in 2 person servings. When you take it out to thaw, throw in some marinade and dinner is ready to cook!
   If you eat a lot of produce, you can save a bunch there too. I usually only buy berries, lettuce and asparagus there. Paper products and toiletries are another place to save - shampoo/conditioner, vitamins, razors are a huge savings, toothpaste, you name it, they probably have it in bulk. 
   If you manage a family of more than two people and you're not buying in bulk, you're wasting your money. Period.  

1 comment:

  1. I also purchase all our meat at Sam's and do the freezer bag routine. Man, we are two peas in a pod!

    ReplyDelete